Minibike Mullahs

A blog about minibikes, kids, minibike repairs, tuning, repairs, cool stuff for minis and where to get it, and repairs.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Loose Bolts

RATS!
Don’t, I repeat don’t, let your break in time go past 1 hour of run time before rechecking all your fasteners. I thought I could wait until the first tank of gas was done before I rechecked. WRONG! After 3 hours of run time I found three of the 4 Allen bolts on the rear sprocket loose and this.
The only indication was a slight squeaking coming from the back end, it apparently backed out and contacted the swing arm. New stainless M8 bolts and lock washers from the hardware store are now installed along with plenty of blue thread locker. If I had it to do all over again I would remove all the bolts first, clean with a degreaser like contact cleaner and loctite all fasteners with the blue stuff. I wouldn’t recommend the high strength red loctite, life’s tough enough, you would need to heat up your bolts to reliable remove them with the high strength stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home