Minibike Mullahs

A blog about minibikes, kids, minibike repairs, tuning, repairs, cool stuff for minis and where to get it, and repairs.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Oil Change for the Cool Foxster


















It had three hours of run time on the motor so I decided to change out what ever was provided as lubricant from the factor. My first task was to drain it into a pan and make note of any metal in the oil. This is what you are suppose to be looking at in the green bowl. There was a modest amount of shine from very small particles suspended in the oil. This looked rather typical from other small motor oil changes. Actually I expected a substantial amount of metal because of the gears going through their break in time, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the small amount I did. So far so good, until I measured how much came out, 400cc. That's a fine number but my less than substantial owners manual said the capacity was 800cc's. So I added 400cc's of pencil Platinum 5w-30w synthetic oil back to it. Slowly I add more until the dipstick was measuring full. This worked out to be 600cc total. A little short but I don't want to overfill it. Next, time to see how it runs against the KX 60.

3 Comments:

Blogger joDer said...

Hello Mullah,

I just picked up a coolster! It's my first bike (I'm 35) but have always loved dirt bikes, figured for the money I can't lose. (Kid again syndrome, big-time.

Got a great deal on a floor model with some slight issues, stripped chain tensioner bolt, missing air filter, dent in the stator case (correct term I think) But, she's a first kicker that's for sure, sounds great, and first gear puts along. (remember way new to this, and I live in a big ol city).

Great job on the site, your "oil experence" helped me a bunch today, getting rid of that nasty stuff the bikes ship with is key, so I've been told.

Would it be OK to leave you a bike question or 2
should they come up? Lucky my pop is a mechanic, but he's new to bikes too.

best, joDer

12:20 AM  
Blogger Whey Lay said...

joDer,
Sounds like you got a good deal. They seem like theyre going to be nice little bikes. The biggest thing I think you can do is be diligent about bolt and fastener tightening, they seem to vibrate quite a bit. Still a nice little bike. I havent got a chance to see what interchangability of motor parts are with the older Honda engines but I have a feeling there will be a significant amount.
Please feel free to stop back by with any questions that might come up. Cant say I will have the answer but I pass along anything I may know.

9:13 AM  
Blogger joDer said...

Mr. Ley,

I'll say thanks a bunch now for any advice you may be able to pass along, and have plenty of questions to follow I'm sure as I'm suffering from "manual envy" big time!

I lock-nutted, and lock-tighted just about every bolt and fastener I could find and they seem to be holding.

Waiting for my red sticker (yea, California boooo) so my rides have been limited to brief tours around the block, so far so good except my fuel line busted where it meets the fuel tank, so I've replaced all fuel lines with quality ones.

I thought I'd pass on a tip I picked up and see what you thought about it. Got a small "rare-earth magnet" and JB welded it to the top of the oil drain plug, with the hopes of protecting the engine from metal flakes etc. I may tap a small bolt though the magnet into the bolt just to make sure it stays affixed.

Also replaced the spark plug with a quality one. NKG Spark Plug ( Part number CR7HSA Plug BX/10NKG ).

I to am curious as to the crossover as far as parts from Honda, it would be nice to be able to know that quality gaskets, rings etc can be used, but I'll first try to learn how to ride a bit before taking the engine apart!

I've been looking at offroad.com, have you been to thumpertalk.com, lots of info there, they even have a "pitbike" forum.

As I'm a new to bikes, I plan (funds allowing) to take a beginner/safety class, but I'm wondering if you could recommend a book/DVD on basic dirt biken' skills.

Thanks again, hope to see a new "Foxter/Coolster post soon!

Best, joDer

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home